Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Quilt

Here is a sneak peak at the new quilt I am laying out. The next two quilts up are both bed quilts. This one is to replace the king size quilt on our bed, which has totally frayed. In the planning stages is a bed quilt for my eldest, who wants an upgrade from old and faded twin to a new queen size. This design took shape when I bid on and won a packet of dupioni silks at the guild meeting. Beautiful jewel tones--what to do with them? I pulled lots of batiks, and came up with the idea--intially of all little squares, randomly laid out, but as it has developed, there are 5 blocks--at this point still randomly scattered. The size of the basic unit was determined by a collection of batik strips I bought at the quilt show we went to in New Hampshire this fall. Since the strips are 2 1/2 inches wide, I went with blocks that finish out to 8 inches square. The 5 blocks are an Ohio Star, 4-patch, Double 4-Patch, Puss in the Corner, and 16-patch. Can you find them? With just over half the blocks pieced, I am loving the rich, warm tones in this top!

Quilt gallery and quilts for sale at: http://community.webshots.com/user/roconnorquilts

No comments:

Post a Comment