Friday, February 20, 2009

New quilts

While I wait for new quilt ideas to gel--I'm thinking about a hibiscus bloom, super-sized, or a whimsical sunflower or perusing photos taken from my walks along the Portland Trail system--I thought I would work on a new commission. I made a small wallhanging using gorilla photos my friend had taken. She recently sent me a CD of giraffe photos and asked if I could make a companion quilt.

The technique is one I made up--I cut a variety of fabrics into one-inch squares, fused squares and photos in sections to gridded, fusible interfacing, then top-stitched with a feather stitch to secure the fabrics. The completed top was then appliqued, free standing leaves were applied, and the whole quilted and bound.

Here is a photo of the gorilla quilt. I will post photos of the giraffe quilt as I work through the process. At this point the photos are printed and set on fabric, and about 400 one-inch squares have been cut out. I just bought thread to do the top-stitching, and am building the sections.

No comments:

Post a Comment