Sunday, December 2, 2012

Kahalu'u Beach

I wish I had posted photos of this quilt in progress, but it wasn't until I started working with this beyond beautiful Hoffman leaf fabric that I thought of sharing it! Sorry! I was so thrilled to realize those leaves, bought on impulse at a guild sale in New York weren't going to linger in my stash for long! The quilt began as a collection of fabrics bought in Hawaii--the turtle print inspired the palette. Not what I had imagined, but Hawaii was surprising that way, so I went with it. Think of the center as coral reef colors and honu (turtles) of Kahalu'u. The waves breaking against the lava shoreline form inner borders framed by the lush forest leaf border. I cut fabrics--all the ones bought in Hawaii and whatever else my stash provided--into 4-inch squares. A marathon of chain stitching gave me piles of half-square triangles to arrange and rearrange, creating the pieced center. A daughter claimed it for her bed, thus requiring borders. Isn't that leaf fabric perfect! Now to piece the back.
Quilt gallery and quilts for sale at: http://community.webshots.com/user/roconnorquilts

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful quilt Rana! It has a lot of movement and rhythm to it. The border material is perfect! Looks like it's tricky to get a photo of something so large.

    ReplyDelete