Friday, June 7, 2013

Yes! Water!

After months of placing, pasting and rearranging, I tried a different technique for the water on my turtle quilt, Honu, and I am really liking it so far. Labor intensive but so worth the liquid feeling. Here's hoping the same technique will carry through to create rays of sunshine and the coral reef. Although I worked all afternoon--I even had help cutting fabric--I got just a narrow strip completed. I tried to get a photo, but it doesn't come through on camera yet, looks disjointed. You will just have to wait a bit. If the stars align I will get more done this weekend, and be able to get a photo that reflects what I am seeing develop. It's so exciting to be moving forward though that I wanted to give you a heads up! I generally don't advertise a particular product, but I  would not be getting through this project without 505 temporary spray adhesive. I love how I can spray the foundation, put pieces in place, move, rearrange, spray again, add more layers and when I am done, find the piece is not too sticky to manage. I worked on the dining table today, then held my breath and picked up the whole piece to transfer back to the design wall. It worked! When I have the background completely laid out, I will give it a final spray and cover with tulle. I found the glue dries quickly and cleanly so I'll be able to thread paint or quilt right over it. I have tried other glue products before and have found them either too messy or they dry and pieces can't be rearranged. On Dreams I literally tore the girl's hair out in order to rearrange a section! Swore then that I would find another technique. The only drawback I see is spraying a chemical into the studio. While 505 temporary adhesive has no offensive odor and claims to be non-toxic, I still might put a gas mask on my Christmas list

Quilt gallery and quilts for sale at: Quilt Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment